Declaration of Major

Declaration of Major in Trinity College of Arts & Sciences

All students enter Trinity College without a major. Before declaring a major at Trinity College, students work with their college advisor and others to develop a long-range academic plan. This plan lays out the courses they anticipate taking in their remaining semesters and is reviewed by their advisor to confirm that it will meet established college requirements for graduation.

Students may declare a major after completing their first year and must declare a major no later than the last day of class prior to the mid-semester break of their fourth semester. Students who do not declare their major may be prevented from registering for classes for their fifth semester and from participating in study abroad programs.

After students have declared their major, primary advising responsibility shifts to their major department and they will work with an advisor in their major. However, many students choose to continue a relationship with their college advisor throughout their time at Duke.

Students who have declared a major and wish to change, add, or delete a major, minor, or certificate may do so through the Office of the University Registrar's Academic Plan Change form, which is available at

Seniors who have completed the Intention to Graduate Form, which is distributed via email during the fall of the senior year, can change a major, minor, or certificate at Seniors who have not received or completed the Intention to Graduate Form can change a major, minor, or certificate by emailing from a email address.

Only one undergraduate degree may be earned; however, a notation of a second major will appear on the transcript. A student may not declare more than two majors. Majors offered within each degree are listed below.

Interdepartmental Major. A student may declare a student-originated interdepartmental major in two Trinity College departments or programs that offer a major after receiving the approval of the directors of undergraduate studies of the departments involved. A student who is interested in a student-originated interdepartmental major should consult with the academic dean responsible for students completing an interdepartmental major. Students proposing an interdepartmental major must present a written plan that has the signed approval of the two directors of undergraduate studies to the academic dean for interdepartmental majors; the plan must include a descriptive title and rationale as well as a list of courses that will be taken in both departments. Any subsequent changes to the course of study must be jointly approved by the directors of undergraduate studies. A student may declare a department-originated interdepartmental major the same way as declaring any other major. For more information, visit

Program II. Program II provides an alternative, self-designed degree program for undergraduates at Trinity College. This can be an excellent option for students who feel that a self-designed program will best enable them to pursue their intellectual interests. Students interested in Program II should speak with their college advisor and with the academic dean who oversees Program II. For more information, visit

Declaration of Major in the Pratt School of Engineering

A Pratt student is urged to declare a major before registration for the first semester of the sophomore year, and is required to do so by the time of registration for the first semester of the junior year. Declaration of major is accomplished by completing an online form available at